Sunday 9 August 2009

Heart of Hush


Heart of Hush has been sitting in my 'must read' list for a while now. It is one of those stories where I essentially knew what happened, and had read subsequent stories following on from it and referencing it - but I still wanted to read it. The hardback collects Detective Comics #846-850 and is of course a pre-cursor to Batman RIP, although there is only the odd Black Glove reference. It reads quickly and you do find yourself wanting to plough on. I enjoy Paul Dini's work and I like how in Heart of Hush, it is generally kept to the main characters, with the odd supporting character popping in for a few pages. However, I felt that Catwoman got a slightly raw deal in this story. I felt that she was made out to be quite weak and when the 'incident' happens to her, it passes with little or no comment. For the purposes of that particular issue, a retrospective narrative from Catwoman would have been cool.

I enjoyed the tussles between Batman and Hush, especially the flashbacks, Dustin Nguyen's art is spot on and the scene in the Batcave is great. Overall an excellent read and definitely one for any Bat-geek.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really wanted to dig this, but felt let down.